Find it Fast
These will scroll you where you want to go
Tuition Assistance Inside PSA
Our program is valued at $5,000, although we charge $2,700-$3,300. We thoughtfully under price our program giving discounted tuition to every student who walks through our door. We also offer a sliding scale and penalty-free payment plans to help off-set the cost for greater accessibility. Our in-house scholarship fund Jen Gouvea Memorial Scholarship is reserved for individuals who identify in marginalized and disenfranchised communities. We award each Summer before our school year begins. If you want to be notified of upcoming scholarship opportunities, be sure to join our mailing list! Or follow us on Facebook or Instagram.
We do need help supporting students! If you are interested in donating to support a student for PSA 1st-Year Program through the Jen Gouvea Memorial Scholarship Fund, please click here.
Government Tuition Assistance and CEUs
Astrology is not a federally recognized vocation, therefore government-sourced funding and federal grants are not available. PSA is also unable to officially accept CEU (continuing education credit) students at this time.
Tuition Assistance Outside PSA
- Scholarship opportunities exist with national and international astrology membership organizations. You do need to be an active member and need to catch these organizations during their scholarship award periods: AFAN, NCGR (either local, national or international chapters), ISAR, or your local astrology membership organization. In Portland, our local membership organization is the Oregon Astrological Association (OAA), but dozens of membership organizations exist around the country. Look into local organizations wether you live in Portland or not.
- Some students have been awarded non-traditional, training program grants to study at PSA. Hundreds of educational grants exist for people who want to continue their education outside of college. A good place to start is GrantWatch.com, or consider shifting through results in a search engine.
- Some students have discovered that PSA qualifies as part of their college’s ‘Independent Study’, which covers the cost of PSA with their current school tuition and students are also given college credit to attend. Please check with your educational institution.
- Some students have been awarded continuing education grants with their employer. Please check with your employer to see if a perk like this exists at your company.
- Some students have off-set the cost of education by filing as a sole proprietor or LLC with the IRS and writing off their education as a tax deductible expense.
The Jen Gouvea Memorial Scholarship Fund
While some opportunities are annual, others are less predictable. All scholarship announcements are typically blasted through our newsletter, Instagram, Facebook and on our website. Join our newsletter (link) to not miss opportunities.
Year Long Scholarship Program
Application period: current closed. Our scholarship is open in June and July each year.
Yearly scholarships are awarded for our Year-Long Program, amount and availability subject to JGMS committee yearly evaluation and approval based on donations received the previous school year. Learn more and apply here.
Engaged Heart Library
Because of current logistical limitations, only Year-Long Program students are allowed to check out books in our JGMS library. We hope this will change in the future. If you are hoping to donate astrology books you no longer need, you can drop them off, or media mail them to us. We thank you for your generosity!
Project / Event Scholarships
Currently, JGMS committee approves yearly funds for the NORWAC diversity scholarship, Queer Astrology projects, free monthly community events such as the New Moon Circle and PDX Astro Social.
Flower Essence Scholarships
JGMS is currently producing and providing flower essence formulas for monthly People’s Yoga BIPOC meditation events, to Year-Long Program Students and to the general public. You can purchase these online (link) , or at PSA, which helps to support further efforts.
We have in the past supported scholarship with flower essence training programs with Pacific Essences, and scholarships for the Portland Plant Medicine conference. Announcements are typically blasted through our newsletter, instagram, Facebook page and on our website. Join our newsletter (link) to not miss opportunities.
Jen Gouvea Memorial Fund Spending
PSA is striving for transparency and accountability with these community funds. Fund updates are published after the school year has closed.
|2015 - 2016||2016 - 2017||2017 - 2018||2018 - 2019||2019 - 2020||Total|
|PSA Program Scholarship||$0||$500||$1,000||$1,250||$1,500||$4,250|
|Engaged Heart Library||$20||$113||$89||$238||$460|
|Free Community Events||$0||$300||$389||$810||$1,499|
|Flower Essence Supplies/Scholarship||$530||$150||$318||$0||$998|
|REMAINING IN FUND||-$162||$555||-$1,394||-$2,841||-$3,842|
ABOUT THE JEN GOUVEA MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
For Jen, accessibility was a top priority, especially for those who identify in historically marginalized and disenfranchised groups.
Jen Gouvea’s passion for accessibility and selflessly working to advance and share the tools of Astrology, Flower Essence and art-based healing practices are continued with this scholarship and include a focus on marginalized groups including BIPOC, religious minorities, womxn, queer, trans, enby individuals, differently abled, and those with limited economic resources.
Jen didn’t accept payment from teaching at PSA, a generous effort to help the school to grow and stabilize. When she died, her earnings were rolled into a fund created in memory of Jen as a key founding influence of PSA, and with the hope to continue her work. The JGMS Committee is made up of past students, clients, and friends of Jen Gouvea, who act as ambassadors to her vision to spread the healing tools of both astrology and flower essences in marginalized and disenfranchised communities.
Each year, the JGMS funds projects, free community events, conference attendance, quarterly classes, sign language translation, flower essence education scholarships, hospitality, free resources, our library and several Year-Long Program scholarships with nearly $11,000 awarded since 2015.