What a year we had!
Portland School of Astrology recently closed out the first school year as we begin the second this Fall. I was very pleased and also deeply moved by the amount of students that came to support us this past year through attending classes, volunteering and generous donations. As I reflect back to the previous school year I was satisfied with our diversity of programming, our approach to grassroots marketing and the teachers at PSA who stepped up to really make the school into an institution of integrity. Personally I learned of the importance of marketing and fundraising to keep the school afloat and the danger of competing priorities.
Here is a short list of accomplishments:
- 12 1st-Year Student go through as our first cohort.
- 566 students went through our Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer quarter classes.
- We gave away $2,108 in Work Trade exchange.
- Between Symposium Astrologica and Renaissance Medicine conference we had 100 people in attendance!
- Grassroots marketing including flyer distribution, word of mouth and tabling at Portland Plant Medicine, Merry Meet and marching in NW Pride Parade. Thank you volunteers!
As we look forward to the future this school year, I am committing myself to the following challenges: a commitment to even more diversified programming, finding a new space to call home, adding a sliding scale to the website to give students with lower means a chance to participate in classes and a commitment to financial stability that includes marketing, fundraising and events that interest the community.
Here is a list of things we are doing or working on for the 2014-2015 school year:
- we added Carol Ferris to our adjunct faculty, an astrologer with over 40 years consulting experience and former Professor for National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM) and Oregon College of Oriental Medicine (OCOM).
- Adding more events: ZEDTalks in the Fall, Medical Astrology conference in Winter Term, Symposium Astrologica Teaching Conference with the OAA in March and a Mini-Reading fair in the Spring.
- Adding more fundraising: ZEDTalks, Culinary Cosmos dinner, Plants & Planets Water Temple Retreat.
- We've formed a partnership with The People's Yoga and their Embodiment Astrology series. We have a different PSA teacher each week in order to branch out and share this information.
- Conducting the 1st-Year Program during the school year now and moving forward.
- sliding scale added on all classes to increase access and ease of class information on all class descriptions.
- simplified website and more online programming than the previous year.
Thank you again for supporting PSA. I gladly put my heart and soul into this year and appreciate your receptivity, generosity and hunger for knowledge!